Monday, June 23, 2014

The Vanishings by Jerry B Jenkins and Tim LaHaye

 Read first chapter excerpt here


This book is the first book in the Left Behind: The Kids series, which is based on the best-selling adult Left Behind series. Readers will see the Rapture and Tribulation through the eyes of four kids who have been left behind. The Vanishings is equivalent to first quarter of Left Behind (Book 1 of the adult series) as only one fourth of the events that occurred in that book happen in the kids' novel. This novel is recommended for children betweenn 10-14 years old, but I would caution against letting kids younger than 13 read this series unless they are highly mature. I read this series when I was probably 14, and I had already read the adult series, so it was not too mature for me. However, the issues and past sins addressed in this novel cause this novel to possibly be too much for some young readers. I would recommend that parents read the books first so that they can discuss the issues and apocalyptic situations with their children. I would also suggest reading more than just this first novel as not much of the redemptive side of the story is expressed in this novel. The Vanishings kind of sets the stage for the rest of the series. I thought this novel and this series fit together quite well with the adult Left Behind series as many of the adult characters show up in the kids series. The plot line moves very quickly and the chapters are quite short. Overall, I enjoyed this series, but I would definitely recommend that parents read the books first to determine if their children are ready yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment